Dear Maria Shriver -
Like you, I am a busy Californian. I see no less than eleven worthy projects on your Web site. I was wondering if you could join me in just one more: bringing the freedom to marry to all Californians?
The California Legislature changed the law to exclude lesbian and gay families in 1977, and Governor Jerry Brown signed it. Since then these families have struggled against the stigma that law has put on them, and have overcoming with such milestones as the domestic partnership legislation that your husband brought into law.
Domestic Partnership doesn't provide the same security of marriage, though, which is why I believe that California would be better for kids and parents if these couples can get married just like everybody else.
Here is where you can help. I have written to your husband every day since July 12 to ask him to sign AB 43, the Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Protection Act. This simple bill reverses the law that Jerry Brown signed without touching the Proposition 22 language, and it gives the many Churches that believe same-sex couples deserve marriage the freedom to perform the ceremony. Although I have written many times, I have only received two form letters in reply. I'm pretty sure that messages from me and people like me are not making their way to the Governor.
I have enclosed a couple of my favorite letters, but they are all posted on my Web site, http://signab43.blogspot.com. Could you please talk to your husband about this and ask him to read some of my letters as he considers his actions on AB 43?
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Dear Maria Shriver -
- Today's letter - we need it either way
- Today's letter - Consider your counsel before you ...
- Today's letter - freedom to marry is the Christian...
- Today's letter - The Party of Lincoln should suppo...
- Letter to Senator Jack Scott - thank you and pleas...
- Letter to First Lady Maria Shriver - help us get t...
- Today's letter - teasing my kids
- Today's letter - Thank you for being a friend
- Today's letter - Eight Domestic Partnership Laws o...
- Today's letter - Congratulations on the Budget
- Today's letter - First comes Love
- Today's letter - gays can't marry but straights ca...
- Today's letter - back from recess
- Today's letter - LA is losing your mail
- Today's letter - Let them wed
- Letter to John Kanaley - Truth in Advertising and ...
- Evolving Talking Points
- More Canada Quotes
- Today's letter - Lessons from Spain
- Today's letter - Jersey Polls and the California P...
- Today's letter - Lessons from Canada
- Today's letter - Going to Disneyland
- Today's letter - States' Rights
- Today's letter - Religious Freedom
- Today's letter - Stop Democrats from Bloating Gove...
- Today's letter - Undefining Marriage
- Today's letter - Equality of Opportunity
- Today's letter - First state to eliminate racial r...
- Today's letter - Dianne Feinstein
- Letter to Dianne Feinstein - Leslie Southwick
- Today's letter - Act on your beliefs
- Today's letter - Proposition 22
- Today's letter - the people HAVE decided
- Today's letter - no problem finding a priest
- ▼ August (34)