Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
I'm just a normal guy trying to be the best father I can. Something has to really upset me to get me to write a letter. You accomplished that when you said that Domestic Partnership is the same as marriage.
You make me feel me frustrated because anybody with the sense God gave geese knows that they're different. Domestic Partnership isn't enough to satisfy the people who are forced into them, and it's too much to satisfy the Opponents of Equality. In the meantime taxpayers are forking out to maintain a separate set of laws governing relationships and everybody is confused because there is no simple definition of a relationship.
I have to admit that when my California Domestic Partner and I got Domestic Partnered over a photocopier in the Glendale Galleria, it was not the happiest moment in my life. It was more like a trip to the dentist. But when we were eloped in San Francisco in 2004, my mother cried because she couldn't make it in time to see her son get married. That's the power a word has.
Obviously, you wouldn't exclude people from marriage if you didn't think that Domestic Partnerships were equal. Even you know that would be wrong. I'm here to tell you that they are not equal, not even separate-but-equal. They are demeaning and humiliating by their very design - the verbal and political equivalent of South Africa's Townships and the pyramids of Abu Ghraib. When you say they are the same, you are wrong: not only technically incorrect but also ethically bankrupt.
You don't have to sign AB 43 to support the freedom to marry, but as long as you pretend that Domestic Partnerships are the same as marriage, you are doing yourself and the people of California a grave disservice.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - 254 signatures and 10 vetos
- Today's letter - Nature or Nurture, it's Love
- Today's letter - Hate is shrinking your base
- Today's letter - Domestic Partnerships are bad for...
- Today's letter - Once again, Domestic Partnership ...
- Today's letter - The People cannot "vote to discri...
- Today's letter - You are doing neither
- Today's letter - I'm writing because California ne...
- Today's letter - You can spin it however you like
- Today's letter - inspiring leadership
- Today's letter - Everybody says you'll veto, but t...
- Today's letter - Big Brother or March for Freedom
- Letter to Attorney General "Jerry" Brown - tell th...
- Today's letter - Not every Church hates the gays
- Today's letter - reasons to hope
- Today's letter - what will happen if you sign it?
- Today's letter - where we want to be
- Today's letter - Extraordinary behavior in the Peo...
- Today's letter - We must all unite to defend freed...
- Today's letter - The rebirth of the GOP begins wit...
- Today's letter - an ode to the freedom to marry
- Letter to The Los Angeles Times - California needs...
- Update: the State Senate passed AB 43
- Today's letter - Whose side are you on?
- Today's letter - tell the truth about Proposition ...
- Today's letter - back to basics
- Today's letter - Since 2005, a lot has changed
- Today's letter - Fair work and fair pay for a labo...
- Today's letter - whatever it takes
- ▼ September (29)