Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
I've written to you in the past about AB 43 which would allow same-sex couples to choose between marriage and Domestic Partnership, but today I want to write to you about a reciprocal bill - SB 11 - which would give all opposite-sex couples the option to choose Domestic Partnership instead of marriage.
Heterosexuals couples over 62 years old can already choose Domestic Partnership instead of marriage but SB 11 would remove the age restriction and let anybody who can get married get Domestic Partnered instead.
I actually agree with Randy Thomasson, president of Campaign for Children and Families (CCF) and an infamous Opponent of Equality, who said “Awarding marriage rights to people who shack up but refuse to get married is completely ridiculous. Why get married if you can get all the legal rights and benefits of marriage without being committed? This bad bill severely weakens the institution of marriage and will motivate unwed parents to remain uncommitted.”
SB 11 is a reciprocal bill to AB 43, and the reciprocal truth applies: why ban people who are "shacking up" from the commitment of marriage? Why would you motivate (or force) unwed parents to remain uncommitted? Just as SB 11 weakens marriage, AB 43 strengthens it by allowing committed couples to commit to each other.
My California Domestic Partner and I have been "shacked up" and "uncommitted" for way too long. I wish you would let us access the safety and security of marriage just like everybody else: please sign AB 43.
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - 254 signatures and 10 vetos
- Today's letter - Nature or Nurture, it's Love
- Today's letter - Hate is shrinking your base
- Today's letter - Domestic Partnerships are bad for...
- Today's letter - Once again, Domestic Partnership ...
- Today's letter - The People cannot "vote to discri...
- Today's letter - You are doing neither
- Today's letter - I'm writing because California ne...
- Today's letter - You can spin it however you like
- Today's letter - inspiring leadership
- Today's letter - Everybody says you'll veto, but t...
- Today's letter - Big Brother or March for Freedom
- Letter to Attorney General "Jerry" Brown - tell th...
- Today's letter - Not every Church hates the gays
- Today's letter - reasons to hope
- Today's letter - what will happen if you sign it?
- Today's letter - where we want to be
- Today's letter - Extraordinary behavior in the Peo...
- Today's letter - We must all unite to defend freed...
- Today's letter - The rebirth of the GOP begins wit...
- Today's letter - an ode to the freedom to marry
- Letter to The Los Angeles Times - California needs...
- Update: the State Senate passed AB 43
- Today's letter - Whose side are you on?
- Today's letter - tell the truth about Proposition ...
- Today's letter - back to basics
- Today's letter - Since 2005, a lot has changed
- Today's letter - Fair work and fair pay for a labo...
- Today's letter - whatever it takes
- ▼ September (29)