Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
I was wondering, Governor, if you think there is a link between our recent wildfire disasters and homosexuality.
Before you roll your eyes, the leaders of the Republican Party’s theological community - Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and James Dobson – all insist that natural disasters are caused by God’s anger at our tolerance of homosexuals.
A quick survey of California shows that we have not had a major earthquake since Domestic Partnerships were introduced. What has happened nationally?
In 1997, the Florida Legislature introduced the nation’s first Defense of Marriage Act. Shortly thereafter, Pat Robertson warned the city of Orlando, Florida, that a gay celebration the city hosted "will bring about terrorist bombs, it'll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor." What happened? Nine major hurricanes have devastated Florida including Charley, Ivan, Francis, Jeanne and Wilma, destroying the notoriously anti-gay Coral Ridge Ministries but leaving Orlando untouched.
In 2004, Louisiana passed a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage and recognition of any “identical or substantially similar” legal status. The same year, Massachusetts started legal marriages. The fallout? Hurricane Katrina destroyed most of Louisiana except for New Orleans’ gay village, while Boston won the World Series.
By 2006, twenty-seven of the fifty United States had constitutionally banned same-sex marriage, while Canada had been performing marriages for a year. The result? This year the Canadian dollar passed the US dollar for the first time in 30 years. Oh, and zero Canadian hurricanes, earthquakes, meteors or debilitating wildfires.
My conclusion from these data is that if you attracted the wrath of God and caused
the wildfires, it was not by signing seven pro-LGBT bills, but by vetoing AB 43, the bill that would have extended the freedom of choice God gave us to all California families.
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - What scares me
- Today's letter - Orson Welles causes panic
- Today's letter - Republcan Party has a proud histo...
- Today's letter - Slippery Slope or Final Step towa...
- Today's letter - Don't make me vote for Obama
- Today's letter - your veto would be OK if you supp...
- Today's letter - God is punishing us for our intol...
- Today's letter - just one issue
- Today's letter - charitable relief organizations s...
- Today's letter - If it quacks like a duck, it's a ...
- Today's letter - AIDS Walk
- Today's letter - Don't Cross Dumbledore
- Today's letter - mail bag: "marriage doesn't make ...
- Today's letter - an opportunity to unite, squander...
- Today's letter - Focus on the Family lies
- Today's letter - your coworker is apparently untru...
- Today's letter - we thought you were different
- Today's letter - Constitutional Obstacles
- Today's letter - Most straights support gays
- Message from The Governor
- Today's letter - here is what you could say
- Today's letter - the tide is turning
- Today's letter - Don't Cross Abby
- Today's letter - courts should not make decisions ...
- Today's letter - be wary of mindless "defense of m...
- Today's letter - sharing helps out when two worlds...
- Today's letter - to the newspapers!
- Today's letter - successful "shack-ups" undermine ...
- Today's letter - what's the real reason?
- Today's letter - nobody likes a bigot
- Today's letter - The Last Thing We Need
- Today's letter - Elected to Lead, not to Read
- ▼ October (32)