Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
It’s Elephant in the Room week. The first I would like to tackle is the “slippery slope.” In 2005 when I was calling your office to ask you to sign AB 849, the 2005 Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Protection Act, one of your staffers said that “if gays can marry, there’s nothing to stop people from marrying their pets.” I was astonished that anybody would still think this way – but out of respect for their belief, I feel compelled to respectfully crush it.
There are many logical consequences of redefining marriage to accommodate a group, such as polygamy, incestuous marriages, marriages of convenience and human-animal marriage. This would be a concern – if we were redefining marriage.
But we’re not redefining marriage. We are simply ending the special exclusions that have been written into marriage over time, like we did with interfaith couples in 1905 and interracial couples in 1948, and we should do with sexual orientation.
Ever since Ruth and Naomi vowed “until death do us part,” marriage has always been just “an exclusive contractual relationship between two persons.” Pets, minors and multiple people are in no danger of entering into a contractual relationship now or ever.
What is far more dangerous – the real “slippery slope” – is creating the right to exclude groups from marriage. Once we start down this slope, we will quickly be able to ban foreigners, the elderly, prisoners, Protestants and Britney Spears. Some will argue that this might be a good idea, but that is a separate slope and a different discussion.
So you can see that allowing all couples access to marriage is not a march down a slippery slope, but simply the final step toward freedom. I wish you would get on board and support the freedom to marry instead of the right to discriminate.
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - What scares me
- Today's letter - Orson Welles causes panic
- Today's letter - Republcan Party has a proud histo...
- Today's letter - Slippery Slope or Final Step towa...
- Today's letter - Don't make me vote for Obama
- Today's letter - your veto would be OK if you supp...
- Today's letter - God is punishing us for our intol...
- Today's letter - just one issue
- Today's letter - charitable relief organizations s...
- Today's letter - If it quacks like a duck, it's a ...
- Today's letter - AIDS Walk
- Today's letter - Don't Cross Dumbledore
- Today's letter - mail bag: "marriage doesn't make ...
- Today's letter - an opportunity to unite, squander...
- Today's letter - Focus on the Family lies
- Today's letter - your coworker is apparently untru...
- Today's letter - we thought you were different
- Today's letter - Constitutional Obstacles
- Today's letter - Most straights support gays
- Message from The Governor
- Today's letter - here is what you could say
- Today's letter - the tide is turning
- Today's letter - Don't Cross Abby
- Today's letter - courts should not make decisions ...
- Today's letter - be wary of mindless "defense of m...
- Today's letter - sharing helps out when two worlds...
- Today's letter - to the newspapers!
- Today's letter - successful "shack-ups" undermine ...
- Today's letter - what's the real reason?
- Today's letter - nobody likes a bigot
- Today's letter - The Last Thing We Need
- Today's letter - Elected to Lead, not to Read
- ▼ October (32)