Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
I think that we are all on the edge of our seats about the plight of Gillian Gibbons, the teacher who was arrested in Sudan after she let her class name a teddy bear “Mohammed.” Yesterday, 600 protesters poured out of mosques chanting “By soul, by blood, I will fight for the Prophet Mohammed" and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad."
This seems so alien and so backwards to us, I think, because the punishment does not seem appropriate to the crime. Who would call for somebody’s death for trying to do good? Thank God this can’t happen here in America. Or can it?
Religion makes Americans do unspeakable things to each other, with the full sanction of the Government. How many people will die unnecessarily because we have blocked stem cell research for six years? How many people will get AIDS unnecessarily because we blocked needle exchange and access to condoms? How many women will die in childbirth because we blocked access to basic sex education? How many gay teens will commit suicide because we block their hope of marriage?
All these ridiculous laws cause great harm by punishing people who have done nothing wrong, in order to satisfy a few religious whiners who lack the tolerance and goodwill to respect the life and liberty of their neighbors. I’m sure we look as irrational and intolerant to outsiders as Sudan does to us.
I am proud of you for stepping up to do the right thing on many of these issues, such as supporting stem-cell research, signing AB 110 for state funding of needle exchange programs, and signing AB 629 for truthful sex education – a critical life skill.
I wish you would join the people and the legislature on one more issue: tearing down the special exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage. This unjustifiable ban costs the state money, deprives citizens of their personal liberty, and punishes committed couples for doing nothing wrong. Really, you don’t even need to sign anything – just start talking about how the punishment of Domestic Partnership does not fit the crime of Love.
Friday, November 30, 2007
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - Death to the Infidels, the sick, ...
- Today's letter - Hate costs Dough
- Today's letter - Chinese are vilified, but not vil...
- Today's letter - Buying with Dignity and Fairness
- Today's letter - The Checkered Game of Life
- Today's letter - In-laws are people too
- Today's letter - Same is not a shame
- Today's letter - Lincoln vs. Douglas
- Today's letter - Thank God for Happiness
- Today's letter - Girlie-men Against Equality
- Today's letter - Do Good Work
- Today's letter - the people's behavior reflects th...
- Today's letter - Equal Freedom is the only Equalit...
- Today's letter - Make government a partner in my l...
- Today's letter - You don't have to override the pe...
- Today's letter - This joy remains tinged with sadn...
- Today's letter - A good team at bat, but one bad p...
- Today's letter - My Religious Belief
- Today's letter - Unlicensed to Wed
- Today's letter - a right or a privilege
- Today's letter - Tear down this last wall
- Today's letter - Separating sex and marriage
- Today's letter - not all Republicans hate gay peop...
- Today's letter - What's Wrong with San Francisco?
- Today's letter - Changing Forms Costs Money so Rea...
- Today's letter - it was we the people, not heteros...
- Letter to Dianne Feinstein - Leslie Southwick was ...
- Today's letter - Looking for answers
- Today's letter - "yours"
- Today's letter - nobody wants to be a 'test case'
- Today's letter - Catholic Schools Teach Hate
- ▼ November (31)