Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
I’m just a guy who is trying to be the best husband and father that I can, and I’m willing to work hard for a better world. As a gay man who believes in God and the tradition of getting married, I’m really getting beaten up today, and although I already have God on my side, I could sure use your help too.
Gregg Shields, national spokesman for the Boy Scouts, expressed his organization’s religious beliefs: “Since we were founded, we believe that open homosexuality would be inconsistent with the values that we want to communicate with our leaders.”
Mr. Shields explained a bit more though, saying “A belief in God is also mentioned in the Scout oath. We believe that those values are important. Tradition is important. Our mission is to instill those values in scouts and help them make good choices over their lifetimes.”
It is no accident that Mr. Shields links homosexuals to people who don’t believe in God and don’t follow tradition. It is probably what he was taught. But anybody with the brains God gave geese knows that this is a lie.
I am living proof that homosexuals can and do believe in God and want to follow tradition, perhaps more than anybody – I not only want to carry on my family’s tradition by getting married and sending my kids to Scout Camp, but I also want to achieve that without lying about myself or my family. That’s what the Scout oath is really about.
When Mr. Shields uses lies to separate my family from God, he is also separating my family from Freedom. Mitt Romney pointed out today that "Freedom requires religion, just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone."
I just don’t have the same muscle as The Boy Scouts, The Mormon Church or The State of California. That’s why I need your help to set things straight. I wish you would support the freedom of families like mine to follow their beliefs and traditions. I wish you would support the freedom to marry.
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - Freedom Interrupted
- Today's letter - Get Government out of our Living ...
- Today's letter - stranger things have happened
- Today's letter - Stories from the Trenches
- Today's letter - smokers have more liberty for les...
- Today's letter - How do they know it's Christmas w...
- Today's letter - Merry Christmas
- Today's letter - Republicans deserve their reputat...
- Today's letter - Leviticus bans Sex, not Love
- Today's letter - Condemn the correct sin
- Today's letter - Adam should not be alone
- Today's letter - either the Church or Galileo is w...
- Today's letter - Saving marriage for the Spears
- Today's letter - Unworthy of Jury Duty
- Today's letter - Paul was against everything, exce...
- Today's letter - lying is worse than homosexuality...
- Today's letter - Only Lies Separate Gays from God
- Today's letter - Pete Knight: In his own words
- Today's letter - Uruguay has more freedom than Ame...
- Today's letter - Silently tolerating nonsense
- Today's letter - Sons, daughters and legacy
- Today's letter - Salvation Army Undermines World A...
- ▼ December (22)