Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
Like you, I’m a dad who wants the best for his kids – both now, and in their adult lives. While my kids are no less likely to be gay because they have gay parents, the well-publicized research of Psychologist Anthony Bogaert indicates that your son Christopher is twice as likely to be gay as your son Patrick. As a public figure, do you plan to let your childrens’ private sexual orientation affect your public decision making?
I have written before about Dick Cheney who said that he believes “Freedom means Freedom for Everybody,” and Mayor Jerry Sanders who said he cannot tell people they are “less important, less worthy or less deserving of the rights and responsibilities of marriage than anyone else simply because of their sexual orientation."
Critics have said that both Mr. Sanders and Mr. Cheney let their personal lives influence their decision-making because they have children who are gay. But to see what happens when public figures make decisions in spite of their family, look no further than your late friends Representative Sonny Bono and State Senator Pete Knight.
Despite co-authorship of DOMA from one and the notorious Proposition 22 from the other, their children are just as gay as the Cheney’s. Mr. Knight’s son even married his love Joe Lazzaro in San Francisco – a marriage later annulled by his own father’s law. These kids are living full lives, yet not able to participate fully in our economy and community because of who they love and their fathers’ legacy.
Nothing any of these men said would have stopped their kids from becoming who they are. But on the way two of these men did things to make the world better for their kids, and two worked to make it worse. Yes, perhaps Mr. Sanders and Mr. Cheney let their decisions be influenced by their personal lives instead of political directives, but the world is better for it.
I want my kids to have the freedom to marry the person that they like and love – regardless of their religion, race or gender. I would hope you would want the same. I invite you to speak out about how important it is for our kids to have the freedom to marry regardless of their sexual orientation. Who knows? It might be in your personal best interest too.
Sunday, December 2, 2007
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - Freedom Interrupted
- Today's letter - Get Government out of our Living ...
- Today's letter - stranger things have happened
- Today's letter - Stories from the Trenches
- Today's letter - smokers have more liberty for les...
- Today's letter - How do they know it's Christmas w...
- Today's letter - Merry Christmas
- Today's letter - Republicans deserve their reputat...
- Today's letter - Leviticus bans Sex, not Love
- Today's letter - Condemn the correct sin
- Today's letter - Adam should not be alone
- Today's letter - either the Church or Galileo is w...
- Today's letter - Saving marriage for the Spears
- Today's letter - Unworthy of Jury Duty
- Today's letter - Paul was against everything, exce...
- Today's letter - lying is worse than homosexuality...
- Today's letter - Only Lies Separate Gays from God
- Today's letter - Pete Knight: In his own words
- Today's letter - Uruguay has more freedom than Ame...
- Today's letter - Silently tolerating nonsense
- Today's letter - Sons, daughters and legacy
- Today's letter - Salvation Army Undermines World A...
- ▼ December (22)