Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
Somebody asked me the other day who the gays want for President. Hillary Clinton has been the long-time favorite because of her support of New Yorkers at pride events and legislation to help stop AIDS.
I think the gays should look seriously at a different contender. Senator Obama has elegantly differentiated himself from Senator Clinton by directly addressing the problem of the religious divide in this country. He has also differentiated himself from Senator McCain by trying to heal that divide instead of exploiting it.
There is one theme in the Senator’s speeches that has resurfaced again and again, that we are a religious nation, but we embrace tolerance and inclusion, not hatred and violence.
On June 28, 2006, the Senator asked “which passages of Scripture should guide our public policy? Should we go with Leviticus, which suggests slavery is ok and that eating shellfish is abomination? How about Deuteronomy, which suggests stoning your child if he strays from the faith? Or should we just stick to the Sermon on the Mount?”
During the HRC/Logo debate on August 20 of last year. Senator Obama said “There are people who recognize that if we're going to talk about justice and civil rights and fairness, that should apply to all people, not just some. And there are some folks who coming out of the church elevated one line in Romans above the Sermon on the Mount. … It is unfortunate. It's got to stop.”
That, Governor, is the kind of leadership that transcends party lines; it means Senator Obama “gets it.” It is what I would expect to hear from Kennedy, Carter or Lincoln.
I wish I could hear it from you. Please, Governor, lead the people away from divisive politics, and ask them to stop blocking same-sex couples from marriage. We need more Lincolns.
Friday, February 22, 2008
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - as clear as the day is bright
- Today's letter - the United Nations holds us all t...
- Today's letter - Desmond Tutu supports the freedom...
- Today's letter - the fight for equality got more d...
- Today's letter - let Oscar wed too
- Today's letter - dawdling is not courageous
- Today's letter - picketing a funeral is legal, why...
- Today's letter - Leviticus or Sermon on the Mount?...
- Today's letter - tolerance is an economic necessit...
- Today's letter - there is no armageddon
- Today's letter - don't protect marriage, improve i...
- Today's letter - New Jersey knows separate is neve...
- Today's letter - not the government, and certainly...
- Today's letter - stamp out discrimination
- Today's letter - Big Brother should not block love...
- Today's letter - be my Valentine
- Today's letter - agents of intolerance
- Today's letter - What would Lincoln do?
- Today's letter - longer than the writers' strike w...
- Today's letter - get us off this four-year see-saw...
- Today's letter - protest pending
- Today's letter - will the court hear from you too?...
- Today's letter - my marriage restored my faith tha...
- Today's letter - Super Tuesday defeats opponents o...
- Today's letter - respect and rhetoric
- Today's letter - winning marriage
- Today's letter - a bad apple
- Today's letter - copy cats
- Today's letter - a Hollywood dream
- ▼ February (29)