Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
A couple of weeks ago, Oklahoma Representative Sally Kern was caught comparing lesbian and gay citizens to cancer and calling them “worse than terrorists.”
It would have been nice if this very personal attack against my beliefs and my family had been met by public admonishment by her party and her state. Instead, it was answered by a teenager named Tucker:
"On April 19, 1995, in Oklahoma City a terrorist detonated a bomb that killed my mother and 167 others. ... That terrorist was neither a homosexual or was he involved in Islam. ... Your harsh words and misguided beliefs brought me to tears, because you told me that my mother's killer was a better person than a group of people that are seeking safety and tolerance for themselves.
“Let me tell you the result of your words in my school. Every openly gay and suspected gay in the school were having to walk together Monday for protection. They looked scared. They've already experienced enough hate and now your words gave other students even more motivation to sneer at them and call them names…. I seriously think before this week ends that some kids here will be going home bruised and bloody because of what you said.
“I wish you could've met my mom. Maybe she could've guided you in how a real Christian should be acting and speaking.”
Governor, you have not said the evil things that Sally Kern has. But you have also done nothing to undo them either. You continue to tolerate anti-gay messaging in your Republican party, your Catholic church and within your own administration. You continue to call same-sex couples who aspire to marriage as somehow less worthy of human dignity than yourself.
I am truly disappointed in you both as a governor and as a human being.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - Jesus was not about 'social order...
- Today's letter - history remembers the liberators,...
- Today's letter - I'm a lover, not a fighter
- Today's letter - people who are unhappy with fairn...
- Today's letter - now they're calling marriages "mu...
- Today's letter - let the candidates wed
- Today's letter - Poland deserves better
- Today's letter - sticks and stones do break bones
- Today's letter - nature lays an egg
- Today's letter - celebrate diversity
- Today's letter - teen sex out of wedlock
- Today's letter - Mission Accomplished
- Today's letter - Jesse Kern and Mother Sally
- Today's letter - Tom Ford is having kids
- Today's letter - silly laws harm real people
- Today's letter - don't just wash your hands
- Today's letter - Ides of November
- Today's letter - greek letters
- Today's letter - go forth and sin no more
- Today's letter - oust the intolerant, not the need...
- Today's letter - Plant an Appleseed
- Today's letter - Elliot Spitzer can wed, why can't...
- Today's letter - Spanish Prime Minister triumphs d...
- Today's letter - why Republicans hate the gays
- Today's letter - let the men marry
- Today's letter - let the women wed
- Today's letter - Samantha gets it, why don't you?
- Today's letter - short slippery slope
- Today's letter - social security short of world-cl...
- Today's letter - United Nations calls for equal pa...
- Today's letter - United Nations speaks to marriage...
- ▼ March (31)