Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
Eddie Walker, the principal of Irmo High School in Columbia, S.C., announced he will resign from his post after the district approved a gay-straight alliance that supposedly conflicts with his religious beliefs. "Allowing the formation of this club on our campus conflicts with my professional beliefs and religious convictions," Walker wrote in his resignation.
The club provides support for gay, lesbian and straight students from an often hostile school environment. Reports show that in 2007, 31 percent of gay students were threatened or injured and 18 percent were physically assaulted because of their sexual orientation. The Lexington-Richmond School District could not stop the club from forming because of federal law prohibiting a club from being banned because of religious bias.
"We truly believe it is unfortunate that this principal cannot see the immense harm that is caused when a social climate of rejection, condemnation and violence is justified with misguided religious belief," said Brent Childers, executive director of Faith in America.
California law now bans prohibiting individuals from getting married because of religious bias. There will undoubtedly be some people who will resign from the County Clerks offices because they are unwilling to uphold the law. When that happens, we must simply remember what President Eisenhower said when he considered ending the traditional segregation of the blood supply into “Colored,” “White–Hebrew,” and “White-Christian” in 1950. The Red Cross told him that the South wouldn’t accept “mixed blood.” Eisenhower replied “then the South will not get any blood!” and issued an executive order ending the practice.
If Eddie Walker doesn’t want a gay-straight alliance at his school, then he is free to leave. “Those who deny freedoms to others deserve them not for themselves.”
Friday, May 23, 2008
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - take a memo
- Today's letter - Germany's apology
- Letter to Focus on the Family about unisex bathroo...
- Today's letter - the cost of freedom
- Today's letter - everybody knows that it is time
- Today's letter - freedom, authorized
- Today's letter - in support of Harvey Milk
- Today's letter - form letter is chilling
- Today's letter - justification for taking away rig...
- Today's letter - bigot begone!
- Today's letter - marriages will be overturned
- Today's letter - landmark leadership and movement ...
- Today's letter - I expect our government to follow...
- Today's letter - divided a little less
- Today's letter - McCain and Hagee are still marrie...
- Today's letter - the end of tyranny
- Today's letter - struggling with patriotism
- Today's letter - you have been terminated!
- Today's letter - it's a small world
- Today's letter - 158 year-old tradition of toleran...
- Today's letter - sad peoplehaters
- Today's letter - Brothers and Sisters celebrate re...
- Today's letter - those who deny freedom deserve it...
- Today's letter - two great men
- Today's letter - Michigan shows what marriage bans...
- Today's letter - exiled for 25 years
- Today's letter - United Methodists have their beli...
- Today's letter - still slighted on government form...
- Today's letter - a sad world without any marriage
- Today's letter - education and knowlege
- Today's letter - the popular vote
- Today's letter - a great precedent
- ▼ May (32)