Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
A short time ago, I wrote to you in support of the California Supreme Court’s ruling on same-sex marriage. Yesterday I received a form letter response from your office that was very nicely written, however factually inaccurate and intellectually offensive to California families, including mine.
You wrote that “Proposition 22 … stated that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized on California,” but you choose to leave out an important detail: Proposition 22 was added to Section 308.5 of the Family Code. I have attached a copy of the Family Code; Section 308.5 has nothing to do with marriages performed in California.
Section 300 (a) (also highlighted) was actually changed by the legislature in 1977 and signed by then-governor Attorney General Jerry Brown, something the legislation was specifically designed to address, something I pointed out to you almost a year ago, and a fact that the recent Supreme Court decision mentions explicitly.
So when you write that you vetoed the legislative efforts to amend the marriage laws because of the sanctity of voter initiatives, you are not being honest. You could have signed the bills and responded to the legal challenge with the same argument about Section 308.5 and the unclear intent of the voters.
But the worst part of your response to the Supreme Court Ruling is that you will merely “abide by the rulings of the state’s highest court.” It sounds to me like you are a sore loser. I wish you would join the people in celebrating the end of government tyranny in individuals’ personal and private lives.
1. Urge that same-sex marriages commence with all due haste.
2. Prod citizens to contribute to humanitarian efforts instead of limits on marriage.
3. Ask the Republican party to remove offensive language from the party platform.
4. Say all good citizens should vote against the Constitutional Amendment to Limit Marriage.
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - take a memo
- Today's letter - Germany's apology
- Letter to Focus on the Family about unisex bathroo...
- Today's letter - the cost of freedom
- Today's letter - everybody knows that it is time
- Today's letter - freedom, authorized
- Today's letter - in support of Harvey Milk
- Today's letter - form letter is chilling
- Today's letter - justification for taking away rig...
- Today's letter - bigot begone!
- Today's letter - marriages will be overturned
- Today's letter - landmark leadership and movement ...
- Today's letter - I expect our government to follow...
- Today's letter - divided a little less
- Today's letter - McCain and Hagee are still marrie...
- Today's letter - the end of tyranny
- Today's letter - struggling with patriotism
- Today's letter - you have been terminated!
- Today's letter - it's a small world
- Today's letter - 158 year-old tradition of toleran...
- Today's letter - sad peoplehaters
- Today's letter - Brothers and Sisters celebrate re...
- Today's letter - those who deny freedom deserve it...
- Today's letter - two great men
- Today's letter - Michigan shows what marriage bans...
- Today's letter - exiled for 25 years
- Today's letter - United Methodists have their beli...
- Today's letter - still slighted on government form...
- Today's letter - a sad world without any marriage
- Today's letter - education and knowlege
- Today's letter - the popular vote
- Today's letter - a great precedent
- ▼ May (32)