Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
I have a sad tale to share with you from my mail bag, sad because it shows a glimpse of the worst of people. A “foamer” (a.k.a. a rabid irrational Opponent of Equality) wrote to me about my explanation of how Ruth and Naomi provide the best example of love in all of the Old Testament, perhaps a quote you paraphrased at your own wedding: "And Ruth said [to Naomi], Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: …Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me." Ruth 1:16-17
YouTuber “LenaLena” wrote me to say “That is extremely disgusting. How dare you twist the story of Ruth and Boaz around?! Ruth fell in love with Boaz. There is no way that the bible supports homosexuality in anyway. Actually, the bible is very clear on where God stands with homosexuality.”
What is so sad and frustrating about this is that the foamers don’t read the Bible they are using as a weapon against their neighbors. I am really tired and frustrated of being treated as less than human by a Church and a Government that is seemingly beholden to these people. Anybody who reads the Bible can see in an instant that Ruth's relationship was with Naomi, not Boaz. And God blesses committed same-sex relationships with abundance:
Ruth 4:17 "And the women her neighbors gave [Ruth’s baby] a name, saying, There is a son born to Naomi; and they called his name Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David." And we all know where the House of David leads.
Everybody ought to be able to follow their own personal belief on this – but I wish you would not let the foamers make public policy while my beliefs are trampled by falsehoods and lies.
Monday, May 12, 2008
Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
- Today's letter - take a memo
- Today's letter - Germany's apology
- Letter to Focus on the Family about unisex bathroo...
- Today's letter - the cost of freedom
- Today's letter - everybody knows that it is time
- Today's letter - freedom, authorized
- Today's letter - in support of Harvey Milk
- Today's letter - form letter is chilling
- Today's letter - justification for taking away rig...
- Today's letter - bigot begone!
- Today's letter - marriages will be overturned
- Today's letter - landmark leadership and movement ...
- Today's letter - I expect our government to follow...
- Today's letter - divided a little less
- Today's letter - McCain and Hagee are still marrie...
- Today's letter - the end of tyranny
- Today's letter - struggling with patriotism
- Today's letter - you have been terminated!
- Today's letter - it's a small world
- Today's letter - 158 year-old tradition of toleran...
- Today's letter - sad peoplehaters
- Today's letter - Brothers and Sisters celebrate re...
- Today's letter - those who deny freedom deserve it...
- Today's letter - two great men
- Today's letter - Michigan shows what marriage bans...
- Today's letter - exiled for 25 years
- Today's letter - United Methodists have their beli...
- Today's letter - still slighted on government form...
- Today's letter - a sad world without any marriage
- Today's letter - education and knowlege
- Today's letter - the popular vote
- Today's letter - a great precedent
- ▼ May (32)