Dear Governor Schwarzenegger -
The Mason-Dixon line was used to separate slave states from free states. We have managed to divide our country once again, this time with the battle lines that limit marriage.
Ten states – not even our neighbors – are asking California’s Supreme Court not to lift the special ban on same-sex marriages.
The Opponents of Equality are arguing that they might have to recognize our marriages in their own states, in case the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and their own states’ Constitutional Amendments are somehow struck down.
While these states may or may not have the right to exclude their fellow Americans from fully participating in their economy and society, that is up to them. Trying to punish Californians for their bigoted intolerance is reprehensible.
What is particularly sad is that they don’t even want to block California marriages altogether – they just want them to go away until November, when a Constitutional Amendment (that has not even qualified for the ballot) might stop them.
Please, Governor, join your Attorney General Jerry Brown in opposing these unfortunate attempts to second guess the California Supreme Court and undermine basic human rights in your state.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
- Today's letter - an opportunty to reaffirm justice...
- Today's letter - the Christian thing to do
- Today's letter - governors Wallace and Schwarzeneg...
- Another Letter to TiVo president Tom Rogers about ...
- Today's letter - everybody loves a wedding
- Today's letter - driving for change
- Today's letter - celebrate with us
- Today's letter - doing his duty for eighteen years...
- Today's letter - hate lost, now it's time to do go...
- Today's letter - Republicans are not acting republ...
- Today's letter - a modern dividing line
- Letter to TiVo president Tom Rogers about Focus on...
- Today's letter - what is up with Oklahoma?
- Today's letter - beyond California
- Today's letter - happy pride!
- ▼ June (15)